Basic care - Household hazards
An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure. Make sure you keep toxic products, indoor and outdoor plants and any other object that could be dangerous out of your pet's reach.
Here is a brief summary of possible "hazards" in different areas of the house.
In the house
To avoid falls, put up window screens.
Many plants are toxic when ingested. You can refer to the following site for more info: www.apsana.info
Try to cover electric cords because kittens and puppies that are teething just love chewing on them (risk of electrocution).
Don't leave your pet unsupervised around a burning fireplace or a heater that is turned on; it could burn itself.
Don't let it play with plastic bags because it could choke.
Pick up all small objects that it could take in its mouth and swallow.
In the garage
Animals just love the taste and odor of antifreeze and windshield washer fluid. Make sure containers are securely closed and out of reach. Clean up messes on the floor as soon as possible.
Put away paint, gasoline, oil, rat poison and any other chemical product.
Kitchen, laundry room and bathroom
Make sure to turn off the stove and unplug the iron when you leave the room.
Keep cleaning products out of reach since they can be toxic (bleach, Swiffer, WetJet, Mr. Clean, etc.).
Keep washer and dryer doors closed and before turning them on, make sure your pet is not in them!
Make sure your pet does not have access to beauty products (shampoo, sunscreen, nail polish remover, etc.) and medications.
In the garden
As with indoor plants, some outdoor plants can be toxic; refer to the internet site previously mentioned and look up "in the home".
Close the door of the storage shed securely in order to avoid accidents with tools and gardening products (fertilizers, pesticides, weed killers, etc.).
If possible, do not allow your pet to come in contact with your lawn or garden if treated with chemicals.
Good training (teach your dog not to leave your yard) could help avoid your pet getting hit by a car. You can also install a high enough fence so that it cannot jump over it. The fence should also be close enough to the grounds so that your animal cannot crawl under it.
Christmas decorations are also potentially hazardous if your pet chews on them or swallows them (icicles, angel hair, lights, glass ornaments, etc.).
Christmas plants are also toxic to animals; try to keep them out of their reach (poinsettia, holly, mistletoe).