The warm summer weather is arriving and so are the days of intense heat. Here are a few precautions to take for your pets.
- Never leave your pet in a parked car in the sun, not even for a few minutes even with the windows open.
- Reduce the intensity of all physical activities. It is preferable to take your pet out very early in the morning or later at night.
- Leave your animal indoors in a cool place or outside in the shade.
- Beware of hot asphalt or all other dark pavement that can burn the foot pads.
- In extreme heat, refresh your pet with a wet towel or one filled with ice cubes and place it on your pet’s head, or simply refresh with a water hose. If your pet seems to be in distress, go immediately to your veterinarian. A heat stroke could be fatal!
- Do not forget to give your pet fresh water and have it always available.
- A great way to refresh your dog is to have a small infant pool filled with cool water and let your dog have fun!
- When bathing or wetting your pet, do not forget to dry his/her coat completely in order to prevent skin infections.
Dre Stéphanie Villemaire